If you are sensitive to certain foods or have unknown allergies you can start with eliminating foods from your diet. This can help determine which foods that are causing digestive issues. We will highlight juicing and its benefits as well as the benefits for starting your detox journey with an elimination detox. There are more types of detox diets than we can list, but these are some of the most healthful and popular. Be sure to consult with a medical professional before your start any type of detox diet.
Popular Types Of Detox Diets
* Juice Detox – This is literally what it sounds like. You make homemade juices from plants like peaches, cucumbers, and apples. You can even add greens to your juices to make them even more healthful.
* Water Detox – A water detox is exactly what it sounds like. You fast and drink nothing but water. This is a difficult detox to do but one that, under the right circumstances, can be immensely helpful to figure out what is causing problems.
* Plant-Based Detox – Eating a whole food plant-based diet can work as a detox without having to suffer deprivation. Simply eat plants without a lot of additives, fat, sugar, or salt, and you will reap the benefits.
* Raw Food Detox – This is also what it sounds like, but it does not include raw eggs or meat. However, do eat raw plants, fruit, veggies, berries, and in some cases even honey. Enjoy these foods to your heart’s content.
* Elimination Detox – Cut out the foods you think are causing the problem such as dairy, gluten, fat, sugar, salt and so forth until you find the culprit. Remember, sometimes the culprit is a combination of ingredients, so do not start adding things back until you figure out what it is. Then add food back slowly.
Detoxes can be an especially important part of determine what is causing your symptoms. If you have skin rashes, headaches, general fatigue, body pain, acne, and other issues, trying a detox is important. If you do have diagnosed illnesses such as psoriasis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, and even cancer, a detox can make a huge difference in your life. Check with your doctor before starting your detox, though.
In our benefits of detoxing article, we gave some examples of how small changes can make a big difference in your health. Now, we are going to discuss chemical sensitivities and how to determine if you have them.
Many people have allergies and some people simply have multiple sensitivities. Allergies can be life threatening, while sensitivities are usually just an irritant. However, they can become full-blown life-threatening conditions if they are not identified and treated. The main treatment is to avoid the item in question. Health can improve greatly when one avoids any issues with allergies or multiple chemical sensitivities.
Allergies and sensitivities can cause dizziness, seizures, paranoia, eczema, headaches, and more. If you have any type of reaction going on that is bothering you, it may be a sensitivity issue.
So, how do you find the food or foods that are causing the sensitivity? It is not always easy, and often you must test by elimination.
Elimination Diet Detox Steps
There are certain foods that we know cause more issues than others, so you want to get rid of those first during an elimination detox. Here are a list of foods that can cause the most issues and should be eliminated out of your diet.
* Nightshades – This includes potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, and goji berries. Nightshades cause inflammation in some people. They can cause bloating, diarrhea, gas, joint pain, headaches, and even depression.
* Sugar – Table sugar in all its forms (coconut, white, brown, and so forth) has either no or nearly no nutritional value whatsoever when consumed in normal serving sizes. All it offers is more calories and empty carbohydrate. While it can be a source of energy, the crash that comes after more than cancels out any value in eating it. Plus, for some people sugar can cause severe fatigue, feed cancer, and contribute to diabetes.
* Overt Fat – Fat that is not found naturally in plants is not good for you. Even cold pressed olive oil has as much saturated fat as chicken. Eating fat found naturally in the whole food, such as an avocado, is okay but eating fat that’s been processed out of a plant is not healthy and can cause a whole host of problems, from excess weight to high blood sugar and heartburn.
* Salt – While we all need a little salt and iodine for health, most of the time if you eat enough raw plants, you’ll automatically get your quota without even trying. Too much salt causes high blood pressure, bloating, and general discomfort.
* Soy – Other than when it comes to food sensitivities, soy is relatively healthy. However, those who have issues with soy can have an increased incidence of skin problems and asthma.
* Nuts and Seeds – All nuts and seeds have a lot of fat and are very prone to cause problems with people who have sensitivities. Some nut allergies are so bad that they can cause death. If you have stomach issues and eat nuts, eliminate them first.
* Meat and Fish – A lot of people have trouble digesting meat and fish. It can cause constipation, skin issues and other problems for those who are sensitive. If you have bumps on the back of your arms, this is likely caused by meat.
* Dairy – There is not enough room to note all the issues with dairy. This should be the first food eliminated on any elimination diet. Acne, eczema, stomach issues and more can all be made worse by dairy.
* Fake Food – Fake sugar, fake fat, processed food is rife with problems that can contribute to a multitude of health issues from headaches, to skin rashes, to stomach problems and more. If you cannot pick it, you should not eat it on an elimination diet.
* All Beverages – When you are on an elimination diet, your only beverage should be water.
* Chocolate – As much as we love it, chocolate is an allergen for many people and can cause stomach issues, headaches, heart palpitations and more.
Try to eliminate all these foods first, for at least 21 days. You can try one at a time, 21 days each, or do all of them at once – adding back each item one at a time every 21 days to find out what causes a reaction. This type of detox diet can cause some stress on your body if not done correctly. Check with a medical professional before you decide to detox.
What A Juicing Detox Diet Can Do For You
We have covered a lot of different types of detox diets that you can do, and a specific kind of detox called juicing have been receiving a lot of attention lately. Juicing means that you extract the juice from fruits and veggies to make a very potent and healthy drink sans fiber, so that your digestive system can rest.
The resting of your digestive system while still ingesting an enormous number of vitamins and minerals is powerful for generating healing on your body. Your body gets the same benefits of water fasting without starvation. Sometimes starvation is good, believe it or not, but in most cases, you can heal yourself without going that far with a juice fast.
Many people who juice for at least three days experience:
* Higher mental clarity – If you find yourself feeling cloudy sometimes, juicing will increase your mental alertness.
* Weight loss – Push yourself off a plateau or jump-start your weight loss journey.
* Elimination of addictions – If you find it hard to say no, going “cold turkey” will help you get a handle on your addictions.
* Better hair – More vitamins mean glossier and better hair that grows faster.
* Improved skin – Many people eliminate acne and even psoriasis with a juice fast.
* Brighter eyes – Regular juicers seem to have whiter eyes than those who do not.
* Lowered blood pressure – If you have issues with high blood pressure, a juice fast can eliminate stress on your organs and decrease your blood pressure.
The benefits of juicing correlate to the length of time you choose to juice. It is important to be mindful of how you feel during the experience to ensure that you are not having any symptoms of danger. Some people who have underlying health issues that they did not know about, will realize it during a juice. This can include hypoglycemia. That is why it is important to pay attention to how you feel, and do not be afraid to break your fast earlier than you planned with fresh fruit or dates.
To experience the best benefits from the juice fast, juice only organic produce, in a masticating juicer that will not heat up the juice past 105 degrees Fahrenheit. You want it to stay cold or room temperature to keep the active digestive enzymes working. The sooner you drink the juice after preparing, the more benefits you will receive from this type of detox diet.